Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Third day here

Sorry I haven’t written in awhile but the past 2 days have been really awful. (if I hadn’t promised not to curse on the internet to my mom, this would probably have a lot of cursing in this entry). So, I was in intense pain at 5:30ish am and they said they couldn’t give me any more morphine or my PCA (the button that gives me my pain killer, stand for patient controlled analgesia). So they gave me an oral pain killer called dilaudid. NEVER TAKE IT! I got an awful migraine and extremely nauseous. One of my surgeons came in and found out they had taken me off the PCE and yelled at all the intern and people hear and I got it back.


Apparently there was a miscommunication. The other surgeon wants the patients off the pain medicine as soon as possible, but when I saw him he said he didn’t tell them to take it off that early. But his interns and residents who I was complaining too did nothing when I complained. They suck so much. So anyway that was awful. But soon after I got my pain medicine one of my friends should up!! And I was so happy!! She brought me the best things lol a red feather boa, magazines which I didn’t have any of yet, really nice chap stick, a miniature diva character lol, my favorite candies (which I am still waiting to eat!!), red nail polish, and of course my favorite musical of all times (at least the ones that my high school played) a DVD of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. It was just amazing. It really cheered me up :D


My aunt and uncle, who are both doctors, also came around the same time. They brought me some flowers. Actually I forgot to say I have a lot of flowers! There is barely enough room to put them all, it is really nice cheers up the room.


After they all left I think I fell asleep for like 2 or 3 hours, and woke up to see another uncle who came to visit. I think it is hard to see people so sick so it was nice that I had a friend and family see me even though it’s tough for them to see.


Anywho, after he left I was still really nauseous from the evil dilaudid, which lead me in to wench and eventually throw up the few liquids I had during the day. The second I threw I was like “oh dang-it, this isn’t good. I feel something bleeding.” Looked down and something was causing a big bump to stick out below my belly button. I curled up in pain and the night was long.


The residents on call looked at it. Then they called in the chief resident, who then called in both surgeons from their homes. (this all took like 3 or 4 hours). I was doped up on so many pain killers and it didn’t really help so I was doped up and couldn’t talk or move on top of being in pain plus nauseous. Not a fun situation. They decided to send me to do a CAT scan to see whether it was a hematoma (a broken blood vessel that causes internal bleeding, which goes away on its own, or a popped stitch which would have undone part of the surgery which would be really bad).


An hour later, around like 10:30pm I finally get to the CAT scan, everything is so slow in hospitals. Turns out it was just a hematoma. I used to get shots in my belly every 8 hours to prevent blood clots. These shots could also be a factor to why I got a hematoma. Now I am not getting them anymore.


That night I was awakened probably every 2 hours. I got an EKG because my heart rate was high (I could have told them that I was in pain, duh my heart rate was going to be elevated). Then I got blood drawn, then vitals, then residents came by. It was frustrating. Now I learned to sleep through all the unimportant things and only wake up for my doctors.

No comments:

Post a Comment