Sunday, January 24, 2010

The day after surgery

Day after surgery sucks more

So that morning I was up at 1am 3am 5am and finally just stayed awake after 7:30am. Doctors came in and spoke to me, as well as fellows and residents, and a nutritionist. They told me that I should try walking or sitting in a chair today. And if I kept liquids down the following day I could have soft food maybe. They were also switching the pain medicine to oral Percocet and something else that was less strong through my I.V. later in the day.

So I attempt standing and walking with the help of three people and oh boy was that hard. I walked about 5 feet then the pain was so much I took more morphine and fell asleep. Pain is all in my abdomen. There are band-aids covering the scars so I have not seen them. There is also a tube coming out of my belly to drain fluid from the surgery, it’s like a reddish bloodish liquid. And I have a catheter because I am unable to walk yet, as soon as I can walk I get it taken out.

So my mom and dad left during lunch time and I was feeling pretty well. The lunch people brought me a piece of bread and this soft fish and I was like I can’t have this and they told me well your doctor said you can. I was confused but too hungry to question and ate my meal ---although slowly and cautiously (turns out I wasn’t suppose to have eaten it yet and caused pain :/

Anywho I decide to walk on my own. This was a bad idea because they stopped the morphine and when I got back to bed I was so weak and tired and could barely press the button to call the nurses to help me. Later that night, I tried to deal with the pain but couldn’t so they gave me some more morphine.

They also filled my body with air during the surgery. It doesn’t hurt it just feels like there is bubble wrap under me lol like by the chest and hips. So that entertained me for awhile.

Tonight I managed to walk another like 10 feet and I sat in a chair. The pain is almost intolerable but you know it could be worse, they aren’t giving me as many pain medications now and even when they did I don’t think it helps. I feel the gas, liquid, and/or food move through my intestines and it kills. The ostomy bag is kind of gross, nothing has really filled it yet because mostly have had only liquid.

Now it is 5:15am. I am so excited because I have some vistors tomorrow! A family member and a friend : )

3 comments:

  1. think of the food you will eat soon!!! i bet you could get cookie dough...its nice and soft. love you bitch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww. think of all the pain you WON'T have after this. no more "oh go get my pills so that i can go out." you're my hero!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol i will miss those pills and ordering you around to get them though, emily.

    and amanda we must eat a bucket of cookie dough to make up for lost years when i am completely healthy again :D

    ReplyDelete