Sunday, January 24, 2010

Day of Surgery

okay so surgery sucks a lot.

day of the surgery. the 22nd, I haven't eaten solid for 3 days so I am ready for surgery so I can eat. got to the hospital at 6am. because i am legally an adult now and my parents couldn't follow me into the place where i had to wait for surgery. It broke my heart to leave them they looked so worried and upset for me.

While I was waiting for surgery, a bunch of people came up to me who were going to be in the surgery room. one guy was a third year medical student and chatted with me. lol he doesn't even want to do surgery he wants to do pathology, and he grew up near my high school's town. So he was nice to chat to. because I had two surgeons, nurses, two anesthesiologist, and a bunch of other people in the room needed, it took awhile to get started. All the doctors was there, but not the anesthesiologist, and I had the medical student like chatting to me while i was just like "PUT ME OUT!" haha

so i am finally "out" by 8:30am and only wake up at 4:15pm-ish. I wake up in so much pain! but it was all good i got to have lots of pain killers. I got something called a pce (I think) and that means I got this button to press which would give me a dose of morphine every 8 minutes. So I liked that. I stau in the recovery room until like 6:30pm and then I get my own private room (I get my own room because I have had c-diff, a bacterial infection three times before.)

That night was difficult. I was pressing that button like every 8 minutes, when I fell asleep I wasn’t pressing it. So I could only sleep in 3 hours intervals, where I would then wake up to pain and press that button for the following hour until I could sleep again. Nurses here are really nice. I also have to breath into this thing to prevent getting pneumonia.

1 comment:

  1. haha, you would like to press a button. sounds soooo fun!

    ReplyDelete